Adhan word – The meaning of adhan in shara ‘terminology is a certain word that informs the entry of the five daily prayer times or Muslim call to prayer. Adhan’s argument is the word of Allah SWT, which reads as follows:
يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا إِذَا نُودِيَ لِلصَّلَاةِ مِنْ يَوْمِ الْجُمُعَةِ فَاسْعَوْا إِلَى ذِكْرِ اللَّهِ وَذَرُوا الْبَيْعَ ذَلِكُمْ خَيْرٌ لَكُمْ إِنْ كُنْتُمْ تَعْلَمُونَ
Meaning: O people who believe, if you are called to pray on Friday then immediately go to prayer (remember Allah) and leave buying and selling, it is better for you if you know it.
Adhan word or Muslim call tp prayer is done by raising the voice. Therefore, in the past, the adhan was read in a high place or a mosque tower so that the voice could be heard as far as possible. Now it is no longer done in the tower but has used loudspeakers. Using a loudspeaker is important so that the voice of the adhan – informing the time of prayer – can be heard as far as possible, especially in Muslim-majority areas.
Apart from adhan there is also iqamah, both of them are almost the same but very different. Adhan is done to call Muslims to prayer and offer prayers in open places such as mosques, surau, meunasah, or other. While iqamah is a call to establish prayers when people have gathered at the place of prayer. So iqamat does not need to be done with loudspeakers, the important thing is to hear it to all worshipers who are already present at the mosque or other place of worship.
Adhan is recommended to men who are already baligh and are not circumcised for women because the call to prayer is done by raising the voice. Except for iqamah, iqamah is circumcision for women, which is done for women only. For example, there are female congregations who will pray, then the circumcision for one of them is just a voice for the female congregation, and not for the male congregation.
Also see: The Best Dua After Salah
To be able to proclaim adhan there are conditions that must be fulfilled. Here are some requirements for the call to prayer.
- Muslim, for the non muslim not allowed to call muslim to prayer, also like that for iqamah. Its only perform by Muslim alone.
- Tamyiz, This is a distinguishing trait that already exists in children who are about to baligh, so it is not legal to do it by toddlers, crazy people and drunken people.
- Men, women are not legally reciting the call to prayer, except iqamah for women.
- Entering the time of prayer, the call to prayer is not valid before the time of prayer is entered because the purpose of the call to prayer and iqamah is to notify the time of prayer and to tell it is time for iqamah (standing to prayer). Except for the adhan for the Subuh prayer, it is legal to do it before the time comes, this is called the call to prayer to inform that the time of Shubuh will come soon, so that the believers (Muslim) can get ready to go to the mosque or other prayer place, and when the time for salah is come, the caller have to adhan anymore.
The Things that is Hated in Performing the Adhan Word
In addition to the requirements for the call to prayer, there are also things that are hated when carrying out azan. Here we will note:
- If it is done by someone with hadas, if it is done by someone who is junub (great hadas) then it is even more hated
- Tathrib ghina or use an alternating rhythm, hated for perform adhan using a rhythm that moves from one to another. Recommended to adhan using one rhythm.
- Talking when adhan with without the need
- Performing adhan by sitting for whom can and able to stand. but, if you are on traveling, you can adhan on your vehicle.
Things That Cancel the Adhan and Iqamah
The adhan and iqamah will be invalid if happen something like:
- Murtad or apostasy from Islam (na’u zubillah min zaalik)
- Dizziness that causes loss of consciousness
- Crazy when performing adhan word
- Long silence between words of azan or iqamah.
Circumcision in the Adhan and Iqamah
In addition to the requirements (syarat) for reading the call to prayer, there are also things that are hated (makruh) and that cancels the adhan and iqamah, as well as things that are recommended (sunnat) during adhan and iqamah. Below are some things that are suggested in implementing adhan.
- Face the Qibla because Qibla is a glorious direction
- Turning your face (not chest) when reading “hayya ‘ala shalaah” to the left and when reading “hayya a’alal falah” to the right.
- Sweet voice and a fair person
- Inserting two forefinger into two ears, as this can accumulate sound so that the breath becomes long.
- Read slowly and not quickly
- Raise the voice as much as possible (call to prayer at the beginning of the time), if the adhan is not for himself.
- Tarji’, It is reciting the two shahadah twice before reciting them in a high voice after Allahuakbar.
- Reciting taswib at adhan Subuh’s Salah, taswib is the word “Ash-shalaatu khairum minan nauum”.
Adhan consists of 17 sentences from beginning to end, while iqamah is 11 sentences. Iqamah is also circumcised for those who perform prayers. If a person leaves prayer, whether intentionally or not then it is obligatory for him to do this (replacing prayer). Now, for those who replace prayer, circumcise him for iqamah, not for call to prayer.
The Complete Adhan Word
Below is a reading of the call to prayer in the form of images, call to prayer text and in Latin form.
In picture form
Adhan in Arabic text
[2x] اَللهُ اَكْبَرُ، اَللهُ اَكْبَرُ
[2x] أَشْهَدُ اَنْ لَا اِلٰهَ إِلَّااللهُ
[2x] اَشْهَدُ اَنَّ مُحَمَّدًا رَسُوْلُ اللهِ
[2x] حَيَّ عَلَى الصَّلَاةِ
[2x] حَيَّ عَلَى الْفَلَاحِ
[1x] اَللهُ اَكْبَرُ, اَللهُ اَكْبَرُ
[1x] لَا إِلٰهَ إِلَّااللهُ
Also read: How to Perform Wudu [Imam Syafie Mazhab]
Adhan in Latin script
- Allaahu Akbar Allaahu Akbar. [2x]
- Asyhadu an laa illaaha illallaah. [2x]
- Asyhadu anna Muhammadar rasuulullah. [2x]
- Hayya ‘alas-shalaah. [2x]
- Hayya ‘alal-falaah. [2x]
- Allaahu Akbar, Allaahu Akbar. [1x]
- Laa ilaaha illallaah. [1x]
The meaning of adhan or the translation of adhan
- Allah is Great, Allah is Great.[2x]
- I witnessed that there is no god but Allah. [2x]
- I witnessed that the prophet Muhammad was the messenger of Allah. [2x]
- Let’s Pray (sholat). [2x]
- Let’s go to glory. [2x]
- Allah is Great, Allah is Great. [1x]
- There is no God but Allah. [1x]
Note: The call to prayer is not valid in a language other than Arabic, so study the Arabic text so that the adhan is valid
This is a brief review of the reading of the call to prayer which includes the meaning of the call to prayer, the arguments for the call to prayer, the things that are true to the call to prayer, which cancels the call to prayer, the things that are circumcised in the call to prayer and the requirements for the call to prayer. Hopefully it will increase our religious knowledge and we can practice it every time we enter prayer.
Also read: Dua for Tahajud Prayer (Arabic)