One of the foods in summer is made from strawberries, let’s say strawberry shortcake. This is a cake that uses fresh and bright fruit. Angel Food Cake is layered with whipped cream, this is a delicious twist on the typical strawberry shortcake recipe.
One of our family’s favorite foods is Angel Food Cake. Our mothers always made this dish in the summer, fresh strawberries and whipped cream was a combination we loved.
The cake was very delicious, our mother was always praised by the family because she could make this cake which we thought was very delicious. Until now, we always try to make this Angel Food Cake, especially at special moments in the summer.
To make the cake, provide several ingredients. The ingredients are easy and can be found easily around us.
Strawberry Shortcake Ingredients
If you want to make Angel Food Cake with fresh strawberries, there are several ingredients you need.
Angel Food Cake that you buy at the store, unless you want to learn to make it yourself (we will give you the recipe)
- Fresh strawberries
- Sugar, and
- Whipped cream
This is a cake that is always popular in summer, so enjoy your summer by often making Angel Food Cake at your home. Fresh strawberries can be an important ingredient that adds freshness to your dish. Freshly picked strawberries are the key to the freshness of this angel cake recipe.
How to Make It
The first step is to prepare the strawberries. This fresh fruit must be stored in the refrigerator for at least two hours so that it becomes more refreshing with its cold taste. So, before you make this cake, you have to prepare this fruit in the refrigerator.
How to Prepare the Strawberries:
- Clean the strawberries, remove the stems. Pat with a tissue or paper towel until dry, and let sit again on the tissue.
- Slice the strawberries in half, and slice them thinly. When making this, cut off the top and discard.
- Then place the strawberry slices in a bowl and add a spoonful of sugar. Mix the berries with the sugar, cover, and refrigerate for 2 hours.
This will give a sweet taste to the sour fruit (strawberries), make it soft, and make a sweet strawberry syrup. So, the best way is to make these strawberries first because they have to be stored in the refrigerator for two hours.
How do you toast angel food cake?
This angel cake is a little unique because it is baked to give it a crunch. This is something different, but very easy to do.
Whether you buy Angel Food Cake at the store or make it yourself, it’s very easy to bake to reveal its crispiness. But if you are in a hurry because you have to take your cake quickly to your summer event, then you can skip this baking process.
But baking is an important thing that can prevent your cake from getting damp. Ok, to bake it, follow these guidelines:
Preheat the oven to 375 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, or a non-stick baking mat.
Slice the Angel Food Cake into small slices, I use a serrated knife for this job. This sponge cake is very soft, so you have to saw it, don’t press because it can compress the cake.
Tip: To make it easier for you to slice the cake into cubes, press just a little with your serrated knife, this will prevent the cake from sticking to the blade.
If the cake has been sliced into cubes, now place it on a baking sheet that has been lined with baking paper. Place in one layer and avoid the cake cubes sticking to each other.
Then put it in the oven for 8-10 minutes, it is cooked as indicated by the brown cubes.
Remove from the oven and leave at room temperature until the cake cools, it may take about 40 minutes, if it has cooled, now you can make this delicious dessert.
How to make whipped cream
Now, to make the whipped cream.
Making whipped cream is very easy and doesn’t take much time, you only need about 5 minutes.
If you don’t want to make your own whipped cream, you can also buy whipped cream at the store.
It’s easy and delicious to make your own whipped cream, but store bought is also great, one of our favorites is Reddi Whip, this looks beautiful with strawberry shortcake. For the Angel Food Cake recipe in this article, we use “Reddi Whip” whipped cream.
How do you make Homemade Whipped Cream?
To make your own whipped cream, we share the recipe here, there are three ingredients you need:
- Cold Heavy Cream or Heavy Whipping Cream
- Sugar to Sweeten
- Vanilla Extract
How to Make Strawberry Shortcake with Toasted Angel Food Cake:
When the fruit has cooled with the pieces and slices of strawberry ready, now take a clear glass to prepare the dessert. As an alternative to glass, you can use a large-mouthed jar.
- Now start filling your clear glass. For the first layer of strawberry shortcake, line the glass with a few blueberries on the bottom. For this recipe we are using 16 oz stemless wine glasses.
- Add chopped fresh strawberries, maybe about 1/4 cup for each layer of berries, this will work great.
- Add whipped cream, you can use store bought or homemade whipped cream. Add two spoons of cream.
- Repeat again for the next layer with fruit, and finish the layer with whipped cream so the topping looks beautiful.
Tip: the best way to serve this dessert is as quickly as possible after adding the whipped cream, this is to prevent the whipped cream from melting.
This recipe is enough for 4 servings using a 16 oz capacity glass. For larger quantities, you can double the recipe. It’s best to adjust it to the portion you want.
This is a delicious and refreshing dessert to enjoy in summer. A festive recipe for your July celebration.
How to Prepare the Blueberries:
Preparing blueberries is very easy, you just need to wash them thoroughly and set them aside on a paper towel to dry. You can also use a paper towel to dry the blueberries.
When arranging it in a glass, add it along with the strawberries.
Which is better? Homemade or store-bought whipped cream for this recipe?
Each has its own advantages, let’s look further!
- This will give your dessert a beautiful topping
- No need to prepare, you just need to buy it.
- The shape is beautiful, it lasts longer compared to store-bought whipped cream
- Thicker and creamier
- Even though it is homemade, it is very easy to prepare, it only takes 5 minutes.
You definitely know the ingredients in whipped cream because it is made by you yourself. So, homemade is healthier.
Strawberry Shortcake Recipe Tips:
– Prepare the strawberries first in the refrigerator, add sugar to the strawberries to bring out the sweet taste.
– Cut the cake pieces into cubes and spread them evenly on the baking sheet and avoid them being close together, if you make a lot, then use two baking sheets.
– Before you serve, assemble the dessert, don’t add the whipped cream too quickly because it melts and melts quickly. Prepare all ingredients before serving.
– If you make it too quickly, the angel food cake will also be damaged and will no longer be delicious when served. The most important thing is to prepare all the ingredients first.
This recipe is made for 4 people, if you want to make more, then double the ingredients.
Mason Jar Desserts
The angel food cake recipe is made in a clear glass without a neck, if you don’t have one, you can use a wide-mouthed jar, and this can hold more.
Angel Food Cake with StrawberriesPrint Recipe
- 1 angel food cake
- 2 cups strawberries sliced
- whipped cream
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Wash the fruit and dry it, slice the strawberries and put them in a bowl, add the sugar and stir until the sugar is absorbed, cover and put in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- 2 cups strawberries, 1 tablespoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Cut the Angel Food Cake into cubes, and place on a baking sheet that has been lined with baking paper
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the cake is browned
- Remove from the oven and let cool
- then, in a clear glass, layer the bottom of the glass with angel cake, blueberries, strawberries, and whipped cream, repeat again and top with whipped cream. Make a layer of whipped cream at the top of the glass so it looks beautiful.
- When finished, serve quickly.