How to Become an X-Ray Tech – Want to become an X-Ray technician, learn here how to do it, how much salary you will receive and how your potential is accepted in the X-Ray technician section, can you expect more.
If you apply to become an X-ray technician and are accepted as one of the technicians, where can you work? We will explain everything related to X-Ray technicians here, please listen carefully here.
- An X-ray technician can work in Clinics, veterinary clinics, hospitals.
- X-ray technicians run diagnostic tests on patients using X-ray, CT and MRI machines.
- These professionals need a state license, as well as professional certification to be able to work.
- X-ray technicians must be detail-oriented, organized, and have good communication skills.
Those are some things you should pay attention to before you become an X-ray technician.
A person with expertise in the X-ray field or as a technician is also known as a radiology technician, and a radiographer, he works in hospitals, clinics, his job is to carry out x-rays, as well as various other diagnostic tests.
Professional work in the field of X-ray technician is estimated by the Bureau of Labor Statistics to grow by only 9% between 2020-2030. The Bureau of Labor Statistics found that the median salary of an X-ray technician is around $63,710 in 2020.
Here, you will learn how to become an X-ray technician with the various steps and processes that must be followed in this career. You will also find different types of X-ray technicians, and what certifications are required to be accepted in this prestigious engineering field.
To Become An X-Ray Tech, Observe the Following Steps:
- Get a high school diploma or equivalent
- Earn an associate’s degree in radio technology again from a 2 year college or a 4 year, accredited college.
- Get certified by the American Registry of Radiological Technologists (ARRT) by passing the certification exam
- Get a state license, if requested by the state board of health.
Types of X-Ray Techs
Becoming an X-ray or radiology technician can pursue a wide variety of specializations. Some of them like to work in clinics, or hospitals, others like to be veterinarians. So, there are lots of specials that you can take on by having expertise in radiology or X-ray technology.
As a radiologist, you will operate various machines such as X-ray, computerized tomography or CT, magnetic resonance imaging or MRI. While the x-ray specialist will use an X-ray machine to draw bones so that it is known where the bone is injured or broken. While the job of CT is to find out where the blood clots or organ injuries are, while the job of an MRI scan is to show musculoskeleton injuries such as spinal cord injuries, and nerve-related problems.
So, each type of machine that is operated requires certain knowledge that really must be mastered about how to operate the device. Including how to prepare patients to be ready to be examined with the machine, and how to find out the results. While completing the associate glass program, a radiology technician must thoroughly learn about all of these mechanisms.
Even if you’re studying for an associate’s glass, as an X-ray technician you need specific learning how to use an MRI machine. The MRO machine is somewhat difficult to operate because it deals with the use of magnets for imaging rather than radiation. Thus, some schools offer special programs to students who are interested in becoming MRI specialists or MRI technicians.
What Is an X-Ray Tech?
An X-ray technician will perform diagnostic tests on patients such as taking X-ray photos. To become an X-ray technician usually a technician only needs an associate degree to be able to work in a clinic or hospital.
Thus, the X-ray technician needs good communication skills because he will communicate with the doctor and the patient simultaneously such as monitoring the x-ray results and explaining them in detail and keeping good records.
What Does an X-Ray Tech Do?
A radiology technician, he works by assisting a doctor in performing tests on patients such as X-ray, MRI, and CT diagnostic tests. First of all, prior to performing the test, the doctor decides on the patient what test to do and then a radiology technician prepares the equipment and supervises the test. Included in what a technician must do is tell the patient about the testing process, take the patient’s medical history, and prepare the patient for X-ray, CT or MRI testing.
These technicians must be really focused and do their job with pleasure, he must enjoy his job including enjoying his communication with a patient. Becoming a technician doesn’t cost as much money as being a doctor, but they are important players in the medical world.
X-Ray Tech Responsibilities
What are the responsibilities of an X-ray technician or a radiologist?
- Maintain imaging equipment and make necessary adjustments to patient diagnostics
- Prepares patients for diagnostic tests, takes the patient’s medical history, and explains the testing process
- Taking pictures or describing diagnostic tests through computers and through other testing equipment
- Analyze images and consult with doctors to find problems that occur in patients.
- Maintain patient records regarding radiological tests and trials including all information found on these imaging tests.
Requirements to Becoming an X-Ray Tech
What are the requirements to become an X-Ray technician
- High school diploma or GED equivalent
- Associate’s degree in radiology technology from a two-year or four-year, accredited college
- X-ray certification from the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT) or MRI certification from the American Registry of Magnetic Resonance Imaging Technologists (ARMRIT)
- State license if required by the state board of health.
Certification Process for X-Ray Tech
In some states, to be accepted as an X-ray technician one must have an X-ray license. Each state medical board decides the licensing requirements for its state. As an aspiring X-ray technician, you should research state requirements before embarking on your career journey.
Some colleges offer human resources to help students understand and meet the requirements of their country of residence.
With the certification and license, it will be easier for prospective technicians to get a job position in a hospital or clinic.
To get an MRI certification, prospective X-ray officers can take a certification exam at ARMRIT, they must have documented experience with an MRI machine or it can be done by taking classes at schools that are devoted to MRI technology in order to take the exam.
X-Ray Tech Salary and Job Demand
According to the BLS, the median annual salary for X-ray technicians is $63,710 in 2020. The median annual salary for all healthcare workers in 2020 is $69,870. This means that X-ray technicians are well-paid for their work.
But you should know that salary prospects vary by region, level of professionalism, and level of professional education.
BLS predicts that the salaries of X-ray technicians or technicians will increase by up to 9% in 2020 to 2030. X-ray technicians should experience steady growth especially for new candidates in the future.