How to Freeze Kale – Kale is a vegetable crop and can always be harvested in the garden if we grow this plant. Kale is very hardy and has excellent roots for growth and it can survive the winter so you can harvest it for months. The number of crops, makes it easier for us to take some of it to freeze in the refrigerator. If you freeze kale, you can easily include it in a variety of foods such as in smoothies, soups, and in soups. Its purpose is to provide flavor, color and increase the supply of nutrients in your food.
How to freeze kale is very easy to do. For those of you who don’t have land to grow kale, you can buy it in large quantities in a neighbor’s garden and then freeze some and some you can cook directly or add to various foods. For those of you who want to always consume kale, we will provide tips on how to freeze kale easily below.
The Best Way to Preserve Kale
The best way to make kale last longer is to freeze it. We recommend you to freeze it, because it’s easy and the results are good. Kale is able to retain its texture after freezing and it can also retain its nutritional content.
How, just teach!
If you want to store in the freezer, then kale is one vegetable that is very easy for you to do. Here’s how to freeze it, please follow the method!
1. Wash the kale well.
2. After washing thoroughly, now dry the kale using a towel or a salad spinner. The purpose of drying it is so that there is no water on the leaves, as this water can rot the kale in the freezer.
3. Remove the kale leaves from the woody stalks
4. Then put the kale in a large baking dish, you can put it in layers. As long as they are dry, the kale will freeze well in the freezer, and freeze for 2-3 hours.
5. Now transfer the frozen kale to another freezer you like.
6. Then put a label, and now you can freeze it for a year or more, depending on your taste.
Does kale need to be washed before freezing?
As long as it is on the ground or where it is grown, wind or rain can cause the vegetables to be exposed to bacteria or other dirty objects. So it needs to be cleaned, because after it is frozen we can take it at any time and no longer need to wash or clean it.
Can you freeze fresh kale without blanching?
Of course, you can freeze kale without changing its color. These vegetables stay green and fresh and can retain their texture. But if you boil it, then you can save it with less space. Once boiled, the kale will be denser as it wilts and you can store more kale in a smaller container.
If you boil it, use a large saucepan and bring the water to a boil. After this, add the kale and let it sit for 1-2 minutes until the leaves are fresh and wilted. Then, remove and immediately put the kale in a container of ice or ice water.
Is kale’s nutrition lost when it’s boiled?
No, you don’t have to worry about the kale you are boiling because it doesn’t deplete the nutrients and vitamins it contains. So, there is no loss in terms of nutrition, because frozen kale still has the same nutrients as fresh kale.
How do you store kale in the freezer?
Storing kale in the freezer for future needs should know the tips. There are four best ways for those of you who want to store kale in your favorite freezer.
3 Best Ways to Store Kale in Freezer
1. Glass food storage containers
This container has its advantages, it can be used for many times and it is very fun because we can see the contents from the outside. These containers may be a little expensive and can take up more space than the other options. So, you can mix it with another container.
2. Glass Canning Jars
It’s a sturdy jar, and straight-sided (no shoulders), it’s perfect for freezing kale too.
3. Zip-top Freezer Bags
This is a great freezer bag included for those of you who are just starting out. You can buy them at any grocery store and these freezer bags don’t take up much space.
How long do kale greens last in the freezer
Kale is great for storage for 6 months and you can still use it for a year as long as the taste and smell don’t change.
Does frozen kale have to be thawed before using it?
No need, you just need to take the frozen kale and put it in your hot meal and the kale will thaw very quickly. Here are some ideas for using frozen kale:
- When making smoothies, add a little to the blender for a delicious taste
- Save yourself time in the morning by adding kale to your smoothie booster packs.
- Mix a little kale into your favorite paste
- Vegetable meat soup is a very versatile food, try adding a little frozen kale to it for a delicious taste.
- If you’re skipping breakfast with sweet potatoes, try adding frozen kale. The trick is to put frozen kale instead of spinach
- Add a handful of frozen kale to a stew or soup
- Try replacing the spinach in “Chicken Spinach Alfredo Pizza” for frozen kale. Preheat this frozen kale, and squeeze the juice into your pizza chicken food.
- Zuppa Toscana, this is a way to include some green vegetables in your diet especially in the middle of winter.
- You eat Turkey Florentine Meatballs, try adding frozen kale to it, you can add twice as much, add kale pesto too, to spaghetti squash noodles.