Remedies for Melasma – Does your skin appear brown or gray spots? If you have experience with this, you may be suffering from melasma. Itis a health problem that is marked by the appearance of brown spots on the skin, this is due to excess pigment or hyper-pigmentation. Usually this brown spots appear on the facial skin and more common in pregnant women, it is also called the mask of pregnancy or chloasma.
Do not worry, this is not a contagious disease that makes you have to stay away from your friends. It is also not a cause of skin cancer, but rather a cosmetic effect. The symptoms of brown or gray skin is more pronounced when it is summer. Here we look at the causes of melasma.
Cause of Melasma
Before we see ways on how to get rid of melasma, let’s look at the cause first. In general, melasma occurs due to excessive amounts of melanin production (pancreas) and generally affects women. Here we look at some of the factors that cause melasma.
1. Hormonal changes
During pregnancy there is usually a hormonal change in women and this can cause melasma, if the cause is pregnancy, then the melasma will disappear after delivery.
2. Exposure to sunlight
If the skin is exposed to sunlight, in certain people can occur melanosit stimulation or color-producing cells. It is will stimulate the production of melanin. In fact, sunlight can also cause a recurrence of brown spots that have faded.
It can also cause melasma. If you are African, Latino, Asian, Hispanic, Mediterranean, Indian, and middle eastern you are usually at higher risk for melasma.
Gender is also a contributing factor to melasma. Women are known to have a greater risk of having melasma than men. Men are considered only 10% of the potential for this disease.
5. Family history
If in your family there is a melasma, then you are also likely to suffer from this disease during your life.
Symptoms of Melasma
These symptoms often appear on the face, but you can get to know more by knowing some melasma symptoms. Melasma usually appears on:
- Cheek bone
- Above the upper lip
- In the neck
- The forearm, and
Bridge of the nose
How to Prevent Melasma
Before you have melasma, you should prevent it. The prevention is better than cure. Here’s how to prevent melasma naturally.
- Protect your skin from sunburn when exiting with sunscreen
- Use non-burning skin beauty products, use soft ones.
- Avoid using hard products because they can cause a recurrence of melasma.
Home Remedies for Getting Rid of Melasma
Melasma is a symptom of health that can fade beauty. It affects your mental health, you will be less confident to go outdoors or play with friends. This situation can not be completely cured, but you can fade it with some home remedies.
More: Natural Remedies for Stomach Pain in Children
1. Grapefruit Seed Extract
Grape seed extract contains a number of good antioxidants to fight free radical and repair skin damage due to exposure to ultraviolet light. So, this herb is called effective as the remedies for Melasma.
Grape seed extract contains citric acid which can cause adverse reactions, for that you have to do the test before using it extensively.
- Use the grape seed extract directly on melasma
- After 15 minutes, wash with warm water
- Tap your skin gently with a soft cloth.
Do it regularly for a week, then look at your face whether it is clean or not. If the vine oil extract stings your skin, dissolve 5 drops of grape seed oil extract with one tablespoon of carrier oil such as olive oil.
More: Substitutes for Tarragon Vinegar
2. Castor Oil
Next, how to remove melasma is by using castor oil. Castor oil is able to fight melasma because it contains rinoleic acid. Castor oil also contains high vitamin E which is great for healing your skin naturally. See how to use it:
- Clean your face by washing it
- Apply castor oil directly on melasma on your face, leave up overnight
- Then, wash with clean water in the morning.
3. Castor Oil, Honey and Lemon Face Pack
Other Remedies for Melasma is castor oil. The mixture of these three types of ingredients is also good for getting rid of melasma. Here are the properties of each ingredient and how to make the potion:
- Castor oil is useful for the melasma, 1 tablespoon
- Lemon juice works as a bleach, 1/2 teaspoon
- Honey is useful to heal and moisturize the skin, 1 tablespoon
How to make:
- Pour the castor oil in a bowl
- Add 1 tablespoon of honey
- Finally, add lemon juice
- All ingredients are mixed evenly
- Clean the face perfectly, pat gently with a small towel
- Apply the mixture evenly in the melasma area
- Let stand 20 minutes, clean with warm water
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
Raw apple cider vinegar is still good for various health and beauty needs. Raw apple vinegar contains high acetic acid and acts as a natural bleach.
Apple cider vinegar that has been diluted if applied at melasma can fade brown spots. Check out how to make this potion:
- Add raw apple cider vinegar that has not been filtered into the bowl
- Enter the same amount of clean water to dissolve it
- Mix all ingredients evenly
- Then, apply this solution directly to the face or area of the skin infected with melasma
- Wait until dries
- Next, wash by using warm water, pat with a soft towel.
The results will appear after 2 weeks of use. So, do this treatment regularly.
Also see: How to Get Rid of Black Spots on the Face