How to clean tongue – The tongue is an organ in the mouth that plays a large role in chewing food. Cleaning the tongue is important to keep bacteria away and minimize oral bacteria. Tongue cleansing has long been practiced in the eastern world and it is great for minimizing the oral bacteria that cause bad breath. When the tongue is coated, this makes the mouth dirty and causes odor and threatens the health of other digestive organs.
Several studies have shown that cleaning the tongue is effective in using a tongue scraper, but not only with this tool because you can still do it with various other tools such as a toothbrush or using mouthwash.
Ok, read on, to find out how to clean the tongue effectively and the benefits of cleaning the tongue for health.
Maintaining oral health includes:
- Toothbrush twice a day using a toothbrush and fluoride
Floss every day
- Eat a balanced nutritious diet every day
- Visiting the dentist at least twice a year to maintain and provide care for your teeth.
Using a tongue scraper is more effective at cleaning the tongue
Although there are several ways to clean the tongue, research says that the most effective and easy way to clean the tongue is to use a tongue scraper. However, both methods, namely using an eraser and a toothbrush, can both remove bacteria.
Read more: Benefits of Yakult for Health
A study conducted in 2006 stated that cleaning the tongue using a tongue scraper is more effective because it is more effective at removing sulfur compounds as the cause of bad breath. So, how to scrape the tongue using a tongue scraper, here’s how:
Here’s how to clean the tongue using a tongue scraper
Take a tongue scraper, either metal or plastic, fold it in half so that it forms a V-shape, or the tool once folded, the folds are slightly rounded and held at the other end. You can buy on the internet with various variations.
- Before scraping your tongue, stick out your tongue as far as you can.
- Place the tongue scraper into the mouth on the back of the tongue
- Press the tongue scraper and pull it towards the front of your tongue
- Then wash the appliance with hot water to remove the bacteria that have collected on the device, remove the mistaken water you have accumulated while cleaning.
- Repeat 2 to five times or until your tongue is completely clean, and after this work is done, wash the appliance for further use. You can scrape the crust of your tongue once a day or twice a day.
How to clean the tongue with a toothbrush
Toothbrush can also be used to scrape and clean your tongue from the crust of bacteria. However, the use of toothbrushes is less effective as we have mentioned above. If you want to minimize the effects of nausea or vomiting, maybe you can use a toothbrush, especially if you already use a toothbrush twice a day to clean your teeth.
Also see: How to Cure Thrush at Home
Here it is how to clean your tongue with a toothbrush
- Use a toothbrush with soft bristles, you can buy them online
- Stick out your tongue as far as possible
- Put the toothbrush on the back of the tongue
- Brush repeatedly, extending from back to front and from front to back
- Spit out the saliva that has accumulated while doing the tongue cleaning,
- Clean and wash the toothbrush with hot water
- Clean your tongue as often as possible or every time you brush your teeth
If your tongue is very dirty, you can use hydrogen peroxide and water. Using 1: 5, make a solution with 1 spoon of hydrogen peroxide and five spoons of water. Brush with this material and don’t forget to rinse your mouth thoroughly after cleansing with hydrogen peroxide.
Can oral cleaning solutions clean the tongue?
Using a mouthwash that is commonly available in the market, (buy it one here) can also clean your tongue, especially if you accompany it with brushing. However, it is best if you use mouthwash is to use a teurapetic mouthwash that contains active ingredients that can kill bacteria. You can find aesthetic mouthwash at online stores.
If you can’t find them online, you can also ask your local dentist to prescribe the best mouthwash for you.
Benefits of Cleaning the Tongue
Cleaning the tongue has many health benefits because it removes bacteria in the mouth. Based on the study, some of these benefits are as follows:
1. Reducing sulfur compounds that cause bad breath
The sulfur compounds in the tongue will easily evaporate and cause bad breath. Based on research in 2004, it is stated that this compound will be reduced by using a scraper or a tongue scraper. It is said that cleaning the tongue using a tongue scraper can remove up to 75% of sulfur compounds, whereas using a toothbrush can only remove 45% of seulfur compounds.
2. Reducing the presence of bacteria on the tongue
Based on a 2014 study at BMC Oral Health, they found that eroding the tongue would reduce bacteria and the numbers would remain low if the cleaning was done regularly. That is, to keep the mouth healthy, we must be diligent in cleaning our teeth and cleaning the tongue either with a tongue scraper or by using a regular toothbrush.
also see: The Human Digestive System
3. Freshen the mouth
Another benefit of cleaning the tongue is related to the freshness of the mouth. The mouth will feel fresher and more pleasant. So, sometimes we want to feel that, it is necessary to do regular tongue cleaning. Some studies have not linked this to the bacteria present, but rather a positive effect that is refreshing to the mouth.
4. Reduces plaque
There is a research related to tongue cleansing in 2013 and from reliable sources. They say that regular cleaning of the tongue can reduce the formation of plaque on the teeth. So it is very important to do this cleaning regularly to maintain good dental health.
5. Change the perception of taste
The next benefit is to provide a better taste perception. This taste will be especially sensitive to sucrose and citric acid. This is based on research.
When to see a dentist
If you notice something unusual with your tongue, such as a change in the color of your tongue or feel something is wrong, you can visit a doctor. Here are some conditions that make you have to visit a doctor, including:
- The tongue looks red or pink, or has red patches
- The tongue looks smooth or slippery
- If the tongue looks hairy, black or yellow
- Wounded from trauma
- A lump or sore appears that won’t heal after a few weeks
- Badly injured
Clean the tongue either using a tongue scraper, toothbrush or mouth cleaning solution is very good to use regularly. Cleaning the tongue provides many benefits such as eliminating bad breath, preventing dental plaque, and avoiding cavities.