Islam is a complete religion and this is known from the existence of regulations in every behavior of human life from waking up in the morning to sleeping at night. Everything is arranged with a certain du’a.
For example, as we will learn today, namely du’a when sleeping and waking up, and du’a when going to the toilet and when leave the toilet.
Just imagine, when you go to the toilet there are two, especially in other actions such as eating and drinking. Ok, but on this occasion we’re just going to learn about sleeping, getting up and going to the toilet and leaving the toilet. Immediately, we check one by one below.
Du’a While Sleeping
باسمك اللهم احيا و اموت
Meaning: In your name, O God, I live and I die.
With this sleep we understand that sleep is like death, if Allah took our lives while sleeping, then we could not wake up again the next day. By reading this du’a we submit all our affairs while sleeping to the owner of life and death, namely Allah.
In addition, if we read the du’a, we are including putting our trust in Allah about what will happen because only Allah knows and by His will all of this happens.
Du’a Wake Up from Sleep
Then we wake up and are also taught by du’a. Here du’a wake up and its meaning.
الْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ الَّذِي أَحْيَانَا بَعْدَ مَا أَمَاتَنَا وَإِلَيْهِ النُّشُورُ
Praise be to Allah who made us alive after killing us and to him we are also returned.
Du’a waking up means that we are grateful for the blessings that are still given, namely the joy of life. When we wake up in the morning, it means that we are still given the opportunity to live so we praise Allah, but we still remember that we will be returned to Him too.
From sleeping to waking up and sleeping again, we are always taught by the du’a so that our relationship with the one who created us is always there and we always remember Him.
Apart from both du’a, sleep and wake up. Islam also teaches its adherents to other du’a-du’a such as du’a when the toilet and when coming out of the toilet.
Du’a Entering To Toilet
اَللّٰهُمَّ اِنِّيْ اَعُوْذُبِكَ مِنَ الْخُبُثِ وَالْخَبَآئِثِ
O Allah, indeed I ask You for protection from the temptations of male and female demons.
As we all know that the toilet is a dirty place or a place for disposing of human waste. So, this becomes a place for Satan, a favorite place for demons or jinn. So, it is recommended for those of us who want to go to the toilet to defecate to recite du’a as above. When we recite the du’a, we will be free from evil from female or male demons.
Then when we enter the defecation or toilet, there are things that must be paid attention to and this includes the procedures or manners to the toilet. Among the things that must be considered are:
1. When entering the toilet, we should put our left foot first, because this is a place that is favored by jinn or demons.
Also see: The Jinn in Islam [part 2 of 2]
2. Read out the du’a that we taught above
3. Entering the toilet should use slippers
5. No singing or chatting in the toilet
6. It is prohibited to carry or recite the Koran
7. When defecating or urinating, do not face or turn your back to the Qibla, but do it sideways. as Rasulullah SAW said, “If someone of you is urinating or defecating, then don’t face the Qibla or turn your back. However, he should be sideways from the direction of the Qibla “. (Narrated by Al-Bukhari). But if you can’t go sideways, then point it other than the direction to the Qibla
8. Not allowed to give greetings or answer greetings. And be careful with unclean, when finished defecating or urinating, run the water until it is completely clean
9. It is expected to close the bathroom so that it is not seen by others
11. When leaving the bathroom, put your right foot first while reading du’a: غُفْرَانَكَ which means “I ask for forgiveness from You”. Below are complete du’a when exiting the toilet.
Du’a When Leaving Toilet
غُفْرَانَكَ الْحَمْدُ ِللهِ الَّذِىْ اَذْهَبَ عَنّى اْلاَذَى وَعَافَانِىْ
“By expecting Your forgiveness, praise belongs to Allah who has removed the dirt from my body and has provided prosperity”
“By expecting Your forgiveness, all praise belongs to Allah who has removed the dirt from my body and has provided prosperity”.
This du’a is filled with praise to Allah for making us healthy and able to dispose of waste properly. How many people have disturbed health and can defecate properly so they experience various health problems and complaints. So, when we are still able to defecate, we are also encouraged to thank Allah. This is a complete teaching which teaches the relationship between man and his natural surroundings and his relationship with God Almighty.